WPC: Inside a Bud

March 9 budding 003

I remember looking at the swelling buds on trees in late winter, when I was a child, and wondering what was inside.

I may even be guilty of trying to “dissect” one or two along the way…

March 9, 2014 arrangement 001

Budded branches from a pear tree.

Like so many things, the insides are a mystery, and the unfolding appears magical.  How could all of those beautiful flowers and shiny green leaves be packed into such a tiny, tight bud?

A newly assembled arrangment of budded branches cut on March 9, a little more than a week ago.

A newly assembled arrangement of budded branches cut on March 9, a little more than a week ago.  Here the pear branches mix with peach and Forsythia.

The buds of every different tree and woody shrub open somewhat differently.  They all unfold on their own schedule.

Forsythia buds opening after only a few hours inside the warm house.

Forsythia buds opening after only a few hours inside the warm house.

From earliest Forsythia and Witch Hazel; through Magnolias, Cherries, and Bradford pears; until finally the Dogwoods and Azaleas of April open; the weeks of spring bring us a constantly changing, colorful garden.

Here is a tiny glimpse “inside” the buds of Forsythia, pear, and peach flowers.  Notice how quickly the leaves open behind the flowers, especially in the warmth of indoors.

We have had a mix of sleet, rain, and snow here today.

The ground is white in places, and the deck furniture shivers beneath a frozen glaze pebbled with sleet.  The temperature is dropping out there now, and our Daffodils and Crocus are frozen in their own jackets of ice.

But inside it’s spring.  Our forced branches continue to open and treat us to their beauty, changing and growing from morning to evening each day.  Come take a look inside their opening buds.

March 15, 2014 VP 004

Photos by Woodland Gnome 2014

March 17, 2014 budding 005

Opening

In Bud

Signs of Spring

Weekly Photo Challenge: Inside Bruton Parish Churchyard

Bruton Parish church yard, as seen from Duke of Gloucester Street.

Bruton Parish church yard, as seen from Duke of Gloucester Street.

The church we know today as Bruton Parish was established during the first century of settlement here in Virginia.  It grew from the consolidation of several existing parishes in this area.

It was formally recognized, and its first rector named, in 1674.  Land  for building the church was donated in 1678 by Col. John Page.   The original Gothic style brick church was completed in  1683.

The original church's foundation, inside ethe church yard.

The original church’s foundation, inside the church yard.

Only about 60×24 feet, the original Bruton Parish church was located to the north and west of the present building, in what is now the church yard.

March 12, 2014 CW 075

This new church served the needs of the growing population here in Virginia, and became very important in the life of the colony.

After the College of William and Mary was founded in 1693, and the Governor and his entourage began attending the church when the capitol was moved from Jamestown to Middle Plantation in 1699; the new church proved much too small for the growing community.  The town’s name had by now been changed to Williamsburg.

March 12, 2014 CW 060

By 1706 the church vestry had begun to discuss building a larger church.  The Church of England had a firm hand in all community and  governmental affairs, and everyone in the community was expected to maintain a relationship with the Parish.

Everyone was required to not only belong to a Parish, but to support it financially and show up regularly for worship. The Parish was responsible for all baptisms, marriages, funerals, confirmations, and communion.

March 12, 2014 CW 079

Crepe Myrtle and ivy grow in this corner of the church yard.  Boxwood shrubs grow beyond this portion of the wall.

Religious freedom wasn’t born until the time of the American Revolution.

March 12, 2014 CW 064

The original church was simply not large enough for all those who attended, especially when the House of Burgesses was in session.

Governor Alexander Spotswood designed the new church building.  His design was 75 feet long by 28 feet wide, the first cross shaped church in Virginia.  The new building was completed in 1715.  The original small brick church’s foundation can be found today in the church yard of the present church.

This is a particularly interesting tomb.  Notice the symbols, reminicent of Shakespear's plays.

This is a particularly interesting tomb. Notice the symbols, reminiscent of Shakespear’s plays.

Some of the oldest marked graves in Virginia are found within this cemetery, now enclosed by a wall.  There are those who read much history from a well kept church yard.

Another view of the same bomb.

Another view of the same bomb.

The body of young Mathew Whaley, the 9 year old boy who died quite suddenly of pneumonia in 1675, lies here in a prominent grave, beside his father.  Our neighborhood  elementary school, just a short distance away, is named for little Mathew.

March 12, 2014 CW 115

This church has witnessed the history of our nation.   It was disenfranchised from the Anglican Church of England in 1776 and lost its tax support.  It became an Episcopalian church, and remains one today.

The main entrance to Bruton Parish, inside the church yard wall.

The main entrance to Bruton Parish, inside the church yard wall.

It lost many members when state government moved to Richmond in  1780. But the church has remained important in the life of the community, and in the life of the College.  Faculty and students are an important part of the congregation, and the church’s Rector has, from time to time, also been President of the College.

March 12, 2014 CW 072

Bruton Parish witnessed both the American Revolution in the Eighteenth Century, and the American Civil War in the 1860’s.  The church was used as a hospital for wounded soldiers in 1862, after The Battle of Williamsburg.

March 12, 2014 CW 074

Ivy and daffodils brighten the early spring garden in the Bruton Parish church yard.

As you might expect, this important and historic church houses many historical treasures, many gifts from the wealthy and powerful.  Through all or the changes this church has experienced during the last 340 years, its true treasure is its strong congregation.

March 12, 2014 CW 077

Live oak tree growing by the churchyard wall

A vital part of our community today, just as it was in the 17th century; this church, churchyard, and congregation remain important to our community here in Williamsburg, Virginia.

The church opens its doors to visitors for tours, concerts, meetings, and worship.  Community groups use its Parish house, and Bruton Paris maintains many ministries in the community.

Here you will find living history, even inside the church yard.

All Photos by Woodland Gnome 2014

“If the freedom of religion, guaranteed to us by law in theory, can ever rise in practice under the overbearing inquisition of public opinion,

then and only then, will truth prevail over fanaticism.

Thomas Jefferson

March 12, 2014 CW 105

Bruton Parish Episcopal Church

One’s Own Back Garden

The Trees’ Knees

Signs of Spring in Colonial Williamsburg

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 719 other followers

Follow Forest Garden on WordPress.com
Order Classic Caladiums

This Month’s Posts

Topics of Interest